Sunday 5 July 2015

Giant Jaffa Cake

I cut off a top layer of the cake to support the chocolate icing but will post the original recipe which came from an ASDA booklet. I also used 150g of chocolate so I had plenty to spread. Flipping the jelly was not easy as I only had 2x 20cm sandwich tins so had to tidy up the sides - I don't think you are supposed to see the jelly but I think it looked ok.



Orange Jelly
2 tbsp Cointreau
2 large eggs - I used 3 eggs as I think they were medium size
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour
Orange marmalade - I used apricot jam
80g Dark Chocolate
125ml double cream

Preheat oven to Gas 4 Fan 160 Electric 180
Grease and flour a 20cm sandwich tin
Lay clingfilm in a 14cm sandwich tin overlapping edges
Dissolve jelly in 450ml boiling water and allow to cool; add Cointreau and pour over the clingfilm
Chill for at least 3 hours until set

Put eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric mixer until mousse like
Sift flour and fold in
Transfer to cake tin and bake for 20-30 minutes until cake is done
Cool on wire rack

Melt the chocolate and then mix in enough cream till spreadable
Spread marmalade on top of cake
Flip jelly on to cake and then cover with the icing