Monday 21 July 2014

Rosemary Chicken

This is my take of Jamie Olivers 15 minute version - it took about 35 minutes as I made bubble and squeak instead of doing polenta. Very Tasty - I would do again without the tomato sauce and use green beans instead of asparagus. I ground the fennel and fresh rosemary in a pestle. My sauce came out quite thin due to frozen tomatoes.





For the Sauce:
1 big pinch dried porcini mushrooms ( I used a pinch of beef oxo)
400g ripe vine tomatoes (I used some frozen ones)
1 heaped tbsp tomato puree (I used sauce)
1/4 fresh red chilli (I used chilli flakes)
1 bunch fresh basil (I used dried basil)
2 cloves garlic (I used garlic granules)

For the Chicken:
Rapeseed oil
2 x 200g skinless chicken breasts
Fresh rosemary, a few sprigs
1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
4 rashers pancetta (I used bought cubes)
150g oyster mushrooms (I used plain white)
Balsamic vinegar

Instead of Polenta I made Bubble & Squeak
2 large potatoes
200g Baby Spinach
20g parmesan
Knob of Butter

Bunch of Asparagus – Boiled or steamed


1. Put the dried mushrooms in the blender with 150ml boiling water, the tomatoes, tomato puree, chilli, basil and garlic and whizz until smooth.

2. Pour the tomato sauce into a medium pan and boil for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Make bubble and squeak and place under grill to char, top with asparagus to serve.

4. On a large sheet of greaseproof paper, toss the chicken with salt, pepper, rosemary leaves, fennel seeds. Fold the paper over the top, then bash and flatten the chicken to about 1.5cm thick with a rolling pin. I cut into strips to cook.

5. Put the chicken into the frying pan with 1tbsp oil, turning after 3 or 4 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Toss the pancetta and mushrooms into the pan when you turn the chicken and cook till nice and brown.

6. Serve Sauce, Bubble & Squeak, Asparagus and drizzle chicken mix with balsamic vinegar.

Serving Size: Makes 4 servings