Wednesday 19 March 2014

Banana Bread with Brown Butter frosting

This was the best cake I think I have ever made :)

I made half the recipe in a small loaf tin and it took 30 minutes to cook; my bananas were slightly frozen which I think made the cake very moist. I used Kerrigold Irish butter and I could not get it to go brown for the topping but it did taste very fudge like.

I did not put walnuts inside but only on the top as I am the only one who likes them. Fifth time made and still as good with Banana Crisps on top.




  • 1-1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. creme fraiche
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed 
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Brown Butter Frosting
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp. Milk

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 375F.  Grease and flour 15×10-inch jelly roll pan.  For the bars, in a large bowl, beat together sugar, cream, butter, and eggs until creamy.  Blend in bananas and vanilla extract.  Add flour and baking soda blend for 1 minute.  Stir in walnuts.
2.  Spread batter evenly into pan.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
3.  Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling.  Let the butter turn a delicate brown and remove from heat immediately.
4.  Add powdered sugarvanilla extract and milk.  Whisk together until smooth (it should be thicker than a glaze but thinner than frosting).  Using a spatula, spread the brown butter frosting over the warm bars (the frosting will be easier to spread while the bars are still warm). 
Recipe from TheRecipecritic.com